QuickBooks offers various advanced features to users for effortless accounting. One of them is the Multi-user mode which allows users to work on the same company file at the same time from different workstations. While switching to the multi-user mode, users sometimes get QuickBooks error H505. The error shows up on the screen along with an error message, “This company file is on another computer, and QuickBooks needs some help connecting.” Read the complete blog to learn about QuickBooks desktop error H505, its causes, and solutions.
Need immediate help to eliminate QuickBooks error H505? Dial our toll-free number 1.855.626.0156 and talk to the team of certified experts Now
Top Reasons that Trigger QuickBooks Multi-User Error H505
There are multiple reasons behind this error. Take a glance at some of them below:
- Incorrect hosting configuration on the server computer and the workstation.
- Presence of some damaged company files in the QuickBooks folder.
- Inappropriate firewall and security settings on the device.
- QuickBooks configuration files not functioning correctly.
- Having an outdated QuickBooks program.
Step-by-Step Methods to Fix QuickBooks Desktop Error H505
Solution 1. Change the Multi-User access on the Host Computer and Workstation
Your server computer should be the only one hosting the company files, so the Host Multi-User Access option needs to be turned off on the workstation. To verify the same, follow the steps given below:
- Move to your workstation getting error H505 and start QuickBooks.
- Select the File menu and choose Utilities.
- See if the Host Multi-User Access option is highlighted. If yes, don’t select it as this system already has the right configuration.
- Open QuickBooks on the next workstation. If the Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option is visible, select it.
- Follow the same process to check hosting settings on all workstations.
- Move to your Host computer and select the File menu.
- Choose Utilities, look for the Host Multi-User Access option and select it.
Solution 2. Download the Latest Version of QuickBooks Tool Hub and Run QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Running the database server manager on your computer will resolve issues with multi-user mode and configuration files. To run the same, you need to download and install QuickBooks Tool Hub. Here’s how:
- Close company files and then QuickBooks Desktop.
- Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub setup file and save it to your Windows Desktop or Downloads folder.
- Open the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file you downloaded and follow the on-screen steps to install the application.
- Select the agreement to the terms and conditions checkbox to complete the installation.
- Go to your desktop and double-click the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon.
- From the tool hub, select the Network Issues tab and then QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Install QuickBooks on your system if it is not installed already.
- Open the database server manager and look for your company file folder. If it is visible, click Start Scan.
- If you can’t see the folder, click Browse to locate it and then click Start Scan.
- The QuickBooks Database Server Manager will start repairing firewall permissions. Once it completes, click Close.
- Now, open QuickBooks Desktop on all workstations, go to the File menu and select the Multi-user Mode option.
See Also: How to resolve QuickBooks error 6147 and fix QuickBooks error code H202?
If you are still struggling with QuickBooks error H505, call us on our helpline number 1.855.626.0156 to get direct assistance from certified experts.